Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes - Ready in 4 hours 30 minutes
Yield: 1 - 9" pie
"This pie is always well received whenever served - it is light and refreshing and very attractive, too. An all-time favorite! You may substitute the key lime juice with a mixture of 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice and 1/4 cup fresh lime juice."
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 lime, sliced
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Mix graham cracker crumbs with sugar and melted butter. Press into 9 inch pie plate and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Separate 2 of the eggs, placing the two egg whites into a mixing bowl. Reserve the yolks in another bowl.
- To the yolks, add one whole egg, lime juice and sweetened condensed milk. Whisk until smooth. With clean mixer blades or a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until stiff, but not dry. Fold whites into filling mixture. Pour filling into partially baked crust.
- Bake in preheated 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 10 to 15 minutes or until set. Let cool at room temperature, then freeze 4 hours to overnight. Just before serving, whip cream to form stiff peaks. Serve decorated with whipped cream and lime slices.