Cakes and Cupcakes >
Angel Food Cake
Homemade angel food cake is worth the work. It is moist, unlike the sweet styrofoam available in the grocery bakery. A tube pan with a removable bottom is highly recommen
Yield: 1 - 10 inch cake
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks, and then add cream of tartar, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- Sift together flour, sugar, and salt. Repeat five times.
- Gently combine the egg whites with the dry ingredients, and then pour into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan.
- Place cake pan in a cold oven. Turn the oven on; set it to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Cook for about one hour, or until cake is golden brown.
- Invert cake, and allow it to cool in the pan. When thoroughly cooled, remove from pan.