Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
"To serve the waffles for dessert, drizzle the waffles with chocolate sauce, and garnish with seasonal berries and whipped cream. Or for breakfast, top with fresh berries and enjoy!"
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (optional)
- Preheat a waffle iron according to the manufacturer's directions. Sift the flour, cocoa, and baking powder into a bowl. Add the sugar and salt and whisk to thoroughly mix. In another bowl, whisk together the milk, egg yolks, and oil. Add to the flour and whisk gently until just combined.
- In clean, dry bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric beater at medium speed until they form soft peaks. Fold into the batter and mix in the chocolate chips.
- Ladle one-third of the batter onto the center of the waffle iron. Close the top and cook until the waffle is crispy on both sides. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for cooking time. Serve immediately.