Treats and Desserts >
By: Amy Ker
Yield: 24 mini cakes
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- To make the cakes: Prepare mix as directed on package except using only 3/4 cup of water. Drop batter onto greased cookie sheet (or use parchment paper to line pan) in 2 1/2 to 3 inch circles. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool.
- To make the filling: In a saucepan, combine milk and flour and cook, stirring constantly until it forms a thick paste. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat sugar and shortening until fluffy. Add vanilla. Add cooled flour mixture and beat until double in volume.
- Turn the little cakes over on their backs. Spoon a dollop of filling onto half of the little cakes. Place the other half of the cakes on top of the filling to form sandwiches.